The Tagalog word for ‘gift’ is regalo but Filipinos have a special word for ‘Christmas gift’ — pamasko (from Pasko = Christmas).
It’s Black Friday (Itim na Biyernes), the day after Thanksgiving, when Christmas shopping begins in earnest, so I put together a list of Filipino-themed gift ideas for children this Christmas.
1. a toy with Filipino origins, like the yoyo, or a popular Philippine game like Sungka, which most Americans know better as mancala
2. Tagalog for Kids flashcards that teach preschoolers through age 12 how to say basic words and phrases in Tagalog like Salamat po (Thank you), Nanay (Mom), Tatay (Daddy) and numbers.
3. Christmas in the Philippines is a book of narratives explaining the customs of the Philippines with photos, drawings, native songs, recipes and fun-to-do crafts.
4. My First Book of Tagalog Words is filled with Filipino rhymes and verses that children will enjoy while learning Tagalog.
5. Haluhalo Espesyal is a picture book in Tagalog and English.
6. Lakas and the Manilatown Fish / Si Lakas at ang Isdang Manilatown is a bilingual book about a Filipino boy who has a dream about a fish that can talk.
7. The Turtle and the Monkey is a classic Filipino folk tale.
8. Tuko and the Birds: A Classic Tale from the Philippines is about Tuko the gecko who cries so loudly that the birds stop singing and cannot sleep.
9. Christmas in the Philippines describes the customs, songs, foods, and activities associated with the celebration of Christmas in the Philippines .
10. Filipina Barbie doll: Philippine-edition Barbie dolls!